History

1956-1957

Presbiteriana da Madalena Church

The American School of Recife was born during the1956-1957 school year when two missionary mothers began teaching the children of four families at various grade levels, using the Calvert Correspondence Course, in the building of the Madalena Presbyterian Church.
1956-1957
1957

Rented House

The School was moved to a small rented house behind the Holiday Building in Boa Viagem.
1957
1958

Continuing Moving

The school population continued to grow, requiring two additional moves to larger quarters: first to a house on Avenida Antônio Falcão in 1958 and then to a two-story house behind the old Porcão Restaurant.
1958
1962

School’s Present Property

EAR’s first school board began to function, with parent/members coming from U.S. government, American missionary, and business groups. The School Board, the U.S Consulate, USAID, and U.S. Air Force personnel stationed here in Recife then joined forces and influence to successfully secure assistance in U.S. government grants, making possible the purchase of the school’s present property and the initial construction of the first buildings at Rua Sá e Souza.
1962
1963

Mr. Bob King in a Pancake Breakfast Day

Dr. Bob King, a former superintendent of schools in Newhall, California, the first full-time professional director of the school, began to serve the school community. He succeeded one of the two missionary mothers who had founded the school back in 1956 and implemented the American School’s first educational program and would serve the school until 1966.
1963
1963-64

EAR's library

Staff and students moved there during the 1963-64 school year.
1963-64
1965

Dr. Bob King with the Jangada in front of the school

EAR’s 1965 yearbook, called the “Jangadeiro Annual” covering the 1964-65 school year, tells us much about expansion and development at the school during that year. In the children’s play area in the front of the school, EAR had a real “jangada”, and that’s why the yearbook was called “The Jangadeiro”, and all school letterhead stationary had a “jangada” on it. In fact, EAR athletes were called “jangadeiros” rather than Eagles up to the middle part of the 1970s.
1965
1966

Jangadeiro Chapter of the National Honor Society

The initiation of the charter members of the Jangadeiro Chapter of the National Honor Society was held in the school library with a reception following the ceremony for families of the charter members. Two seniors, Cliff King and Dale Soules, and four juniors, Gay Lofgreen, Scott Smith, Mark Pease, and Gordon Williams were tapped for outstanding performances in Leadership, Service, Scholarship, and Character.
1966
1966

Accreditation & Association

The school was acredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and also became a member of the Association of American Bi-National Schools in Latin America.
1966
1967

Aerial view of EAR facilities

1967
1970

A typical classroom in the 1970s

1970
1975

1st Senior Class in 1975

1975
1977

EAR in 1977

1977
1982

Inauguration of the Early Childhood Center (ECC) classrooms

1982
1986

Main sports court

The school's main sports court was inaugurated.
1986
2006

EAR becomes computerized

The school began to computerize the academic and financial departments by installing an integrated management system.
2006
2007

ECC classes start at EAR

First Nursery and Ecc 3 classes start at EAR.
2007
2010

Tennis Clay Court

Construction of the tennis clay court
2010
2012

Dr. Erick Heise assumed the position of superintendent of EAR where he remained until 2019.

2012
2012

JupiterED

EAR begins to use an educational management system called JupiterED that integrates activities, grades, communication and reports, facilitating and supporting student learning.
2012
2013

Cognia, formerly advanced

The school received the accreditation of AdvancEd, a non-profit, non-governmental organization that accredits primary and secondary schools throughout the United States and internationally. Today it is called Cognia, a name that comes from the Latin word cognitio, which means knowledge.
2013
2016

Aarão Simões

Physical Education Teacher Aarão Simões retires after 33 years dedicated to physical activity at EAR.
2016
2017

New parking

The school's parking lot has been completely renovated and paved. The school has reached the mark of 500 enrolled students.
2017
2018

Secondary Expansion

A new building for the MH School was inaugurated with eight new classrooms

The AdvancED (Cognia) Engagement Review Team visited EAR and renewed the U.S.accreditation.
2018
2018

Mr. Robert Werner

Mr. Robert Werner who was director of ECC / Elementary Principal in 2017-2018 became Acting Superintendent in the 2018-2019 school year until Mr. Mark Pleasants assumed the position in August 2020
2018
2020

Covid-19 Pandemic

Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, EAR implemented a distance learning teaching model, where students attended classes from their homes.
2020
2020

The Class of 2020 is the first class to graduate virtually.

2020
2021

Interim Management Committee

Following Superintendent Mark Pleasants' employment termination, an interim management committee was formed until a new superintendent took over. The committee was composed of Daniel Santos, Business Director, Quintino Orengo, Director of Brazilian Studies, and Jeffrey Shirk, Secondary Director, each responsible for their area of expertise.
2021